Last night I mixed up this recipe for stuffed chicken breasts. This is a recipe that was submitted to the allrecipes.com site by Maria Fontana. It was fabulous and extremely easy to make. It did result in lots of left over stuffing though, so tonight I made some manicotti with the leftover cheese stuffing. I served these chicken breasts with some penne pasta, brussels sprouts and a side salad.
Maria’s Stuffed Chicken Breasts
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 (15 ounce) container Ricotta cheese
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
* 1 clove minced garlic
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place chicken breasts between pieces of plastic wrap and pound until uniform and flat
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- In medium bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, spinach, garlic, eggs and 6 ounces of the mozzarella cheese.
- Mix well and stuff chicken breasts (I did this by adding the stuffing to the top of the breast, folding the breast in half and then securing with toothpicks)
- Place breasts into 9×13 lightly greased baking dish.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over breasts and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear
- Remove toothpicks before serving (the chicken will retain its shape after cooking)
Yield: 4 servings